One of your planning strategies might involve going global. An international trade show exhibit strategy creates many exciting opportunities, but it also comes with some challenges. Clear communication is the key to tradeshow success. Here are six tips to help close the communication gap.
- Slow down. Most Americans speak much too quickly, making comprehension difficult.
- Avoid slang. This includes sports jargon, colloquialisms, and metaphors.
- Use humor sparingly – especially sarcasm! It is far too easy to cause misunderstandings and give offense while trying to be funny.
- Watch body language. Often people will give nonverbal cues that they’ve lost the thread of a conversation. Ask if they understand, and offer clarification.
- Hire Help – Consider using an interpreter to ensure clear communication. An interpreter with a clear understanding of your product and marketing objective is worth his/her weight in gold!
- Translate – Handouts and brochures can be printed in any language but use a native speaker to help you with the translation.
Written by Susan A. Friedmann, CSP, The Tradeshow Coach, Lake Placid, NY, working with exhibitors and meeting & event planners to improve their event success through coaching, consulting and training.